As a mom of five, I know very well the need we moms have to be alone.
We love our children, but to be continually needed by someone and always on call is tiring.
Sometimes we’re looking to get away for a few minutes, to sit in silence, to rest our minds.
Sound impossible? If you have young children – it is. They are hard wired to need you. They want to be with you – all the time.
You don’t dare close the door when you go to the bathroom because it’s just asking for a catastrophe to happen!
But – if you have older children – it’s actually easier than you think.
After years of trial and error, I have discovered 10 foolproof statements that are sure to get you some privacy.
All you need to do is announce any one of these and the room will clear instantly as your older children will disappear like leaves in the wind.
1. “I’m looking for someone to wash dishes”
2. “The bathroom needs to be cleaned”
3. “I’m heading out to the garden to weed”
4. “I’m heading out to the garden to pick green beans, or tomatoes, or peppers, or anything”
5. “There’s laundry waiting to hung on the clothes line”
6. “There’s laundry to be folded”
7. “I think we should start cleaning the basement after lunch”
8. “The garbage needs to be taken out”
9. “I need help canning tomatoes (or apples or green beans)”
10. “Dad said we were butchering chickens this afternoon”
Try one and see for yourself!